If you suffer from “dental anxiety,” you are not alone.
Dr. Duffy and our team will make every effort to help you stay calm and comfortable during your exam or procedure. We do not want fear of pain or a prior bad experience to keep you from getting the care you need.
What you can do to stay calm:
- Tell us about your concerns or past experiences—what has helped and what has not. Often learning about and talking through what we will do during your appointment to help you feel comfortable is enough to calm your fears
- Bring your electronic device to listen to music or ask us for noise-cancelling headphones
- Remember that we want you to stay pain free and will check in on you frequently to see how you’re doing
Learn more about: Managing dental anxiety
We offer two sedation options available to you to help you feel more comfortable during your dental appointment:
- Oral conscious sedation – oral conscious sedation or moderate sedation is administered by pill one hour prior to your appointment. We ask that you have someone drive you to and from your appointment if you are using oral sedation.
- Nitrous oxide – nitrous oxide or “laughing gas” is a safe, effective sedative agent that is mixed with oxygen and breathed in throughout your treatment. It helps you feel relaxed and pain free but will not cause you to go to sleep. It is easily adjustable and dissipates in minutes at the end of your appointment.
Your safety is our top priority. Prior to issuing any form of sedation or other medication to you (or anyone you are responsible for), we will ask you some questions about current prescriptions and supplements, any medication allergies or reactions you have had to sedatives or pain relievers.